Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The Hills Are Alive...

My second week into gastronomic tourism takes us into the Adelaide Hills to meet with the owner of Udder Delights, Sheree and to the cellar door of Bird in Hand winery.

Udder Delights has been operating out of Lobethal since 1999 and originally only produced Goat's milk cheeses but has introduced a range of cow's milk cheeses recently.



Their cheeses incude Goat Curd with a light texture and tangy finish, Chevre with a gorgeous subtle flavour with a delightfully creamy texture, Goat Feta, Goat Camembert - the most characteristic of the lot, a mellow Goat's Brie, Aged Ashed Goat Cheese (my fav) as well as two Jersey Milk cheeses, Adelaide Hills Camembert and Adelaide Hills Brie, both which are utterly creamy. The Udder Delights Jersey Blue Cheese is superb - I am going back just for more of the blue!
Sheree stops to tell us that half the stuff on the menu is not available on our arrival!!!! What shitty luck huh!?! I was looking forward to trying their version of the pie floater - the Pie in the Sky, damn! Hugh doesn't seem impressed by this either...

My Cauliflour and Blue Cheese Soup with Herbed Bread above, and below Cari's gorgeous Toasted brushetta style bread with thick slices of creamy chevre and drizzled olive olio, caramelised onions accompanied by a rocket, pear and parmesan salad! Was really good - but a definte can do in your kitchen at home!

After that soup, I had to have something sweet - If anyone know me anyways - soup never qualifies as a 'real' meal according to me, and that soup was anything but hearty - flavourful yes, wholesome - no! So, this is what I'm talking about - a rich, indulgent, big slice of carrot and peccan cake with a good smoothering of yoghurt frosting and cream drizzled on with an expresso shot to keep me going for the rest of our afternoon....

If you can't make out what the blackboard says: Bird in Hand Rose` to be served at Wimbeldon again in 2008! So, I picked up a bottle of the stuff that looked awfully pretty - a blushing pink.

With a range of passable and well totally inconsequential oils and olives, they do a nice, wide range of wines, of which we sampled about nine!!! What an afternoon - I love my course! This is what all 'seminars' and 'excursions' should be like....


One valuable tip this lady taught me is that my uncomfortably dry mouth after drinking red wine is probably because of the high tannisin some red wines like Shiraz and Cab Sav, she suggests I stick to Merlot and Pinot ... so I'm gonna try it and see how it goes....

I'm turning Jap - a -nesa - I really think so!!! Cheeeese - time to be ultra ASIAN! The curly, blonde is Andrea my lecturer and tutor.

Newly engaged Cari is all smiles, brimming over with joy -joy - joy!!!!! AWWW!!!! And well those big Wimbeldon looking trophies are all the wine accolades Bird in Hand has recieved over the last couple years!

This is picturesque Adelaide Hills - what a view! I love it and I love being Down Under - I mean can it get more spectacular than this?!


And this is Andrea's cute little beatle - I want one in pink - hint, hint - mum, dad, Sameer -anyone!!!!!



No comments: