Thursday, August 7, 2008

Sundays are for experimenting

In the mood for a bit of Sunday brunch I rustled up an omlette with sauteed sliced mushrooms, parsley, brown onions in butter (yes real butter - I haven't cooked with the stuff for months and boy had a forgotten how gorgeous sauteeing with butter smells - and tastes!)

Breaky rolls - lavosh bread filled with pastrami ham slices, the omlette, pepper, salt and some Italian herbs to finish off...

Although I used two eggs in there within a few hours I hit the kitchen again this time in the mood for curry - lately thats what I crave a lot! I think the its the weather!!! When it gets cold all you want is a big bowl of something hot and filling to comfort you - particularly if your companion for the evening is your comforter and the tele!!!

Going extravagent with more butter sauteed onions and diced chicken goes into the pan with a bit of minced garlic and sweet basil paste. I played around with this curry using a ready made Masaman Curry paste which is cheating but I need to do more research and stock up my spice supplies before I attempt one from scratch! So in goes the paste, mushrooms and brocolli.

I diluted a chicken stock cube in half a cup of water and used only 3/4 can of coconut milk because I wanted a thicker gravy rather than curry since I was serving it with hokkien noodles that I am totally hooked on rather than rice. In went a few drops of fish sauce, shredded corriander, dash of soy, lemongrass choppes, kaffir lime leaves.

And the end result was pretty good - stirred through the hokkien noodles and allowed it to simmer over the fire for about two to three minutes to soften and absorb all of that flavourful curry ...




No comments: